31 July 2023

It has been 13 years since my last research conference

 



I last submitted a research abstract for an international conference in 2010, when I was still a graduate student in UP. I did three/four oral presentations back then: one in Castellaneta Marina, one in Vienna, one in Bangkok, and one in Davao, all of which were partially subsidized by UP. A big chunk of financial support still came from the Benny&Edna Mendoza Scholarship Fund (aka my parents' pocket). 😂

And here we are again, 13 years later, I would submit an abstract in the field of PUBLIC HEALTH. Who the fuck would have thought I will be doing research in this field?!?! 😂 I don't think, even in my wildest dreams, I would be submitting an abstract (not yet presenting, my abstract has not been accepted yet) to a public health conference??? This is indeed a first! I chuckle as I write this blog entry, and most likely so will my former colleagues, because my shift from disaster risk/environmental science research to public health/epidemiology is one hell of a leap. I still struggle sometimes to wrap my head around concepts in epidemiology and biostatistics, much more about concepts in Alzheimer's Disease and Related Dementias (ADRD) research. Like, seriously? Disaster/environment now you're doing ADRD? I knowwww! It's unfathomable at times for me too. I'm still trying to find that research link between the two fields. I do strongly hope that someday, I can marry the two fields and be a niche researcher in that area. 

Until then,

No comments: