28 May 2019

Top five reasons why it's highly beneficial and cool to hang out with your (senior) parents

I SAW THIS UNFINISHED POST WAY BACK 2016!!!

If you're still single and in your late 20s or early 30s (heck, or even mid- to late 30s), it's never too late to hang out with your parents. However, if they get really old, the drawback is that some of their senses/organs might be failing already (e.g., poor hearing and eyesight, difficulty to talk, slower brain synapses, arrhythmia, etc.)

5. You have almost but not exactly the same level of maturity when having a conversation about life in general. I love it when Mama and/or Papa asks and CONSIDERS (asking is one thing but considering, is another) my opinion on something important like decisions regarding the family business, family problems/issues, options when buying big investments, etc.

4. You can pick out nuggets of golden wisdom from them and refine it based on your experience with today's generation. The advice your parents gives you are timeless, value-centric, principle-centred. But there are just some that you think may be outdated. Filter them BUT make sure you possess that level of discernment to know what is right and appropriate for you. As I got older, I found more sense in the advice my parents are giving me, especially how to act according to society's norms. I know I've been cursing societal norms and its restricting nature to one's sensible personal growth. But sometimes my parents are right. You need to act your age. You need to move with grace and poise and class. I have had my fair share of encountering people from different walks of life, from different regions of the world, and being gracious, poised, and classy reflects the way you were reared as a child, the environment you grew up in. Most especially it reflects your parents ability and capability to raise you. So I would do my parents proud and act with grace, poise, and class; even if I find it a bit superficial at times, haha! I guess that where my filter and discernment would come in.

3. Since they are probably in their 60s, they tend to get mellow on you and will not scold you THAT much if you've done something stupid, but not reckless, at your age. Just recently, I broached the idea of getting a tattoo (no, it's not something reckless) before I leave for my scholarship abroad. They just uttered the usual preachings about how society thinks that having a tattoo is taboo, that I'll just make my body look dirty, that it's kadire to look at, etc. After a lengthy debate with them they just said, "bahala ka na anak, malaki ka na." K I hope their succumbing statement is permanent. :D

2. They have a senior citizen discount card and if you're treating them out, it makes the bill a lot cheaper. Yes, it's a law. A senior citizen gets a whopping 32% discount (the 20% discount applies to the original price without VAT, which is 12%) on a number of items (e.g., medicine, restaurant food and drinks, some grocery items, theme park rides, parking fees, sundry items, etc.) in various establishments. When eating out with my folks, I really get surprised as to how much is slashed off from the total bill. This senior discount is really a money saver for my parents and for me, if I decide to treat them out. *fist bump here*

1. Since they have limited time left in their lives, you just have to make the most out of it and SPEND EVERY SINGLE DAY LEARNING FROM YOUR PARENTS. Soak up their 60 years of wisdom! To quote Isaac Newton, "If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulder of giants." It's just like in research. You stand on the shoulder of the scientists that have paved the way on your research topic; build on their research so you can see further ahead. It is also true with parents. To succeed in life, you need to build on the wisdom that your parents imparted upon you. Parents only have the BEST INTENTIONS for their children (wait, let us exclude those parents who sell their children to sex and drug traffickers and also who teach their children to steal, lie, and cheat from other people).

No comments: