01 July 2022

Today's thoughts: On reading journal articles

 I decided to put a photo here just for the heck of it, haha!

So what has been happening with me lately...

Well, recently I've been neck-deep with a lot of searching and reading scientific journal articles. I think this is the most number of publications I've read in two weeks. I skimmed abstracts of more than 150 articles and did a deep read of eight articles. In two weeks. 

There's a technique in skimming through journal articles. For me, I read the abstract, then go to the last paragraph of the introduction because that's where the objectives of the study are written (usually). Next I look at the figures and read the captions and check if the objectives can be answered with the figures. Then I skim through the methodology, then jump to the conclusion section. You'll get faster the more you practice this. Also, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR IN A PAPER, then you'll be much faster.

However, doing a deep read is no joke. Especially if these papers are novel ones or papers that I can use as primary sources. I read all sections thoroughly and make annotations. Not only that, doing a deep read requires focus and concentration because you need to understand how the sentences and paragraphs, when put together, form a thought or idea. And in journal articles, because they are written succinctly, ALL sentences seem to be very important. So if you don't understand a sentence, you might lose an important point. But it's a good thing that not all journals are written well because that means you don't have to stress to much in reading and understanding every sentence. 😝 But that can also mean the journal is not of high-quality so it's better to look for another one that's similar but published in a journal with higher impact factor.



Spring/Summer in Fort Worth, TX. 
26 May 2022, Fort Worth Botanic Garden.

I think I'd better stop here. I can feel the effects of Trazodone already. Good night!!

No comments: