12 April 2015

Discovering Aung San Suu Kyi. And other thoughts (that digressed from the topic of Daw Suu)

"The only real prison is fear and the only real freedom is freedom from fear." -Aung San Suu Kyi-

I bought a book about Aung San Suu Kyi, recipient of the  1991 Nobel Peace Prize and other notable awards. I didn't write them down here anyway as one can research it on Wikipedia.

I'm writing this entry because I want to tell how inspired I was by this strong and indefatigable woman from Burma. I came upon her name when I saw in our local papers an article that Loren Legarda wrote. It was about her intimate conversation with Aung San Suu Kyi. That made me research Daw Suu some more and learned about her story. It was all so political and being a creature of science, I was not that drawn on how she became the beacon of democracy for Burma. I was drawn to her personal life. What was she like during her childhood, what was her social status, and how she was educated. And did her childhood and community-related factors affect or contribute to who she is and what she has done for Burma? The book did not give me straightforward answers to this question however, it did provide me some statements where I can cherry-pick facts to make a hypothesis.

Daw Suu came from an upper middle class family,with a father serving in the modern Burmese Army as a General and founder. Leadership, courage, and patriotism (and perhaps a Messianic complex?) was in Daw Suu's lineage I suppose. Note: I noticed that some of my friends who have "military lineage" (they have fathers in the army; one is a Colonel and one is a General) possess a leadership skill and charisma that regular (those who don't have military lineage) people their age don't have. Can leadership be genetic?? Also, being in an upper middle class family, Daw Suu afforded to go to a good school and receive better education compared to those who can only afford "regular" schooling. Another point, Daw Suu was able to study abroad because her family can send her to the US for her education. In short, Daw Suu had the capability/means to not think of putting food on her table while she pursued her dreams. However, she did make a sacrifice to save Burma: she left her sons and husband and returned to her motherland to bring democracy. I guess right now in my life I do not understand the gravity of this trade-off  because I do not have a family yet. But as I've stated above, if a Messianic complex is involved, then it would be easier to let go of secondary things and pursue that passion you are willing to sacrifice your life for.

I noticed this trend to my affluent friends who are achievers in their own right, much like Daw Suu but on a localized level. These friends of mine DO NOT CARRY THE BURDEN of having to work long hours, doing laborious tasks just to provide for their family's needs. Why? Because their parents are wealthy enough to provide for them. Mayaman na sila kaya hindi na nila kailangan pang maghikaos at magtrabaho ng matindi para lang makapaglagay ng pagkain sa lamesa. Having this advantage made my affluent friends, and perhaps Daw Suu, focus their energies on doing what they are passionate about that require brain work more than brawn. Let's face it: combining financial wealth with passion, empathy, and intelligence makes a person propel forward and do great things for humanity. Financial wealth is important because it can allow someone to worry less about life's necessities and focus on their passion.

But of course I am not saying this with a tone of finality. These are just my observations and are not proven trends. There will always be those going against the trend--- people who are rich pero patapon ang buhay nila, mahilig sa masasamang bisyo at nanglulustay ng pera ng mga magulang nila. It just got me thinking really that if I had the resources, will I be like Daw Suu? I think I can. It's just a matter of focusing and beginning. Focusing and beginning.

Focus + impetus + perseverance + discipline are the needed attributes to achieve what you want in life.







No comments: