24 November 2014

My early loves

I guess I am one of those kids who, at an early age, had been subjected to many summer classes. I had taken classes on music, dance, art, and sports. My parents believed in cultivating the latent talent of a child and honing it to become a full-blown feat. I am thankful to my parents for all the summer schools they sent me to. I learned a lot and it made me develop my personality and character.

My ultimate love was, and still is, DANCING. I loooove ballet! I excelled in it! I started dancing at the age of seven, wherein I was categorized under Grade 1 level in Academy One. After some time, I reached Grade 3 level in the same dance school. Unfortunately, ballet is such an expensive lesson to learn and my family needed to focus its financial gains on things that really mattered to me and my brothers' development. Hence, I stopped. However, as I matured, I went back to dancing and learned the styles of Latin Jazz, Modern Jazz, Pole Dancing, Hip Hop, and Ballroom. I also had some occasional Belly Dancing lessons. But dancing caught up with my schedule and forced me to stop. Again.

My second love was painting. I learned painting at the Luna Art Workshop at the age of 11. I first started with pastel painting and have completed the course. Next summer, I dabbled in oil painting. Again, I finished it but I wasn't able to continue it because I became busy with other stuff and I started to lose interest in the arts. Though I still appreciate beautiful art greatly, having been trained in the sciences for more than a decade now, my right brain suddenly forgot how to draw and paint, haha! No, REALLY, as in!

My third love, and surprisingly the thing I'm still good at, aside from sports, is MUSIC!!! I took up piano lessons at a tender age of four and continued it again at the age of ten. We have a very nice piano at home, we have two actually: a Roland music synthesizer with keyboard and a Roland electric piano, like the Clavinova model of Yamaha. Prior to this we had a Trebel upright piano at home. So, having access to these wonderful instruments, my piano playing was cultivated. I may not be a super expert on it, but I can get by with my pieces. I took up voice lessons too at  the age of eight. And my talent was further cultivated when I joined our church choir in 2000 and I am still part of our church choir until now.

When we moved out of Tahanan, the Roland clavinova was neglected for almost three years as the space in the condo did not allow the piano to be accessible for playing. And so it just sat there not being used. It was sad. But just recently, when Diko flew to UAE for a nice work opportunity, the condo acquired a vacant space that allowed the piano to be accessible!! And I am so HAPPY that after three years I can tickle the ivories again!! Yehey! Just to show you what our Roland looks like:

Oh I missed you so much Roland!!!

Now, I am able to play my classical and jazz pieces again!!! Wheee!!! It gave me such joy and that feeling of nostalgia when I sat there, reading my pieces. Gosh, I'm really very thankful to my parents for their passion and capability to send me to summer art classes! Thank you Ma and Pa! I love you both. :)

Mabuhay ang musika!

1 comment:

Martin said...

She also knows how to play drums, ethnic percussion, bass guitar, and also classic acoustic guitar. She's a woman of many talent. Swerte ng bf nyan :)