13 November 2013

Infographics 101: Good references for creating effective infographics

And so today I am going to create an infographic for the communities in Benguet Province regarding early warning system protocols.

I am stumped on what to do. I am not an artist. I do layouts for posters, pamphlets, and covers for conference manuscripts, but that's it. I try to be creative but my left brain can only let my right brain dabble a bit on its operations.

I've searched Google on how to have an "effective infographic design" and here are the sites I've come across. They do not teach you how to create per se but these can serve as good references and inspirations for you to create a good infographic. In my case, a mediocre infographic. Here they are:

The Best 80 Infographics in the Web (2011) - they have compiled in 2011 the top 80 infographics available on the web. It's inspiring enough to let your creative juices flow.

The Dos and Don'ts of Infographic Design - some may agree with the writer's perspective some may not. But it can still be a good read as you will be the one to decide on which points to pick. But there has been another article to explore this write-up in a different perspective. Here it is: The Dos and Don'ts of Infographic Design: Revisited.

Jing Zhang Wignall - I know there are a lot of illustrators out there but Jing Zhang's illustrations are just damn cute you'll thoroughly examine them. She has been a consultant artist for big names such as Toyota, Adobe, Nokia, and IBM to name a few.

Airbnb - a complete, creative, and informative infographic from Airbnb.

Flowtown - try exploring their website and be inspired with its graphics.

Zia Somjee - his creations are something like Jing's but Zia's illustrations can show a more "male" side as it uses darker colors compared to Jing's pastel shades. His concepts are good too and I like how clean and simple it is.

That's enough browsing of infographic references for now. There are TONS and TONS of it out there, you just have to google them. But these are my picks in the meantime.

On another note, if you just want to laugh a bit, check this website out. Unfortunately the captions are not that funny but when you see the photos, it's enough to make your diaphragm muscles hurt and your shoulders spasm from laughing.

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/209534/bad-taxidermy-is-the-perfect-mix-of-hilarious-and-terrifying/


No comments: