26 November 2023

My beloved rat, Henry, 29 August - 26 November 2023 (10:43AM)

After putting Fatty to rest, six days later, Henry followed.

I was telling Mico wouldn't it be poetic if Henry left on the same day he came to me? Henry did just that. I welcomed him and Harry last 26 November 2021. Exactly two years after, Henry left. 

I loved Henry. Well, I loved all of my rats. But Henry, I guess, was different. His will to live and fighting spirit seemed to be the strongest of the three. He also seemed to be the bravest, soldiering on despite having a gaping stomach wound. He seemed to be the fittest of the three. He outlasted both Harry and Fatty. He was also very affectionate, would give me kisses whenever I pet him.

When Harry passed, it was just us two for about a month. I would dance with him while singing, "just the two of us, we can make it if we try, just the two of us...", to which he would remain calm yet terrified at the same time while I clutch him near my (flat) chest, swaying and spinning around the room. When Fatty passed, I sang to him the same song as I cuddled him. He was already weak, but I'm so proud of Henry for being resilient. He's a rat that fought hard. Despite his huge tumor that's hampering his movements, he made a great effort to eat, drink, poo, and pee. Henry taught me a lesson to just keep fighting no matter the odds. He knew he was going to die soon, but I knew he tried to delay death as much as he could. 

With Henry, I have no regrets because I know I was able to care for him until his last breath. I was able to clean him every day, change his bedding, dress his wound, feed him, pet him, spend time with him, cuddle him... I can say I really took good care of him in his sunset days. He wasn't on my lap when he died, but I heard him when he was thrashing in his cage, and I woke and got up despite just having three hours of sleep. Safe to say I was there right beside him, holding him when he expired. He knew I was there. I was there. 

I'm so happy you became part of my life, Henry. For two, happy, beautiful years. I gave it my all for you, Henry. Thank you for allowing me to care for you. I love you, and I will always love you. You will always be my baby rat, Henry. 💓💓💓

Here are some of Henry's last moments:




The night before he passed. He was my working companion. I knew his time was coming, so I made sure he was near me so I could pet and hug him.





I made sure to capture some last photos with him. I had to cover his huge tumour with a paper towel.











Henry's last moments with me.

I love you Henry. You are the first and my last baby rat. I will always love you.
💓💓💓


No comments: