17 February 2023

My conversations with chatGPT

Conversations with artificial intelligence is here to stay, it seems.

OpenAI launched chatGPT recently and it has already been flooded by internet users. At one point, there were five million users in one day that it resulted in the website crashing. So now OpenAI introduced a subscription scheme to avail premium chatGPT features.

I first learned chatGPT from my friend, Harold. I posted on my IG stories about coding in R. I was typing and trying a lot of codes and still can't produce the answers I need. He then chatted me and told me I should just ask chatGPT. Of course I didn't try it right away. I have doubts about AI. I still believe that humans are way more intelligent than machines. But then I slowly came to realise that AI is not trying to outsmart or replace humans, it's ASSISTING humans by making processes more efficient. So when I had my back against a wall while figuring out an assignment (not a coding assignment), I sought the help of chatGPT. And it performed outstandingly.

My friend Rohit explained to me how chatGPT works: it's like Google, but instead of you sifting through the information that Google churns out, chatGPT parses internet information for your consumption. This way, the process becomes more efficient. And he's right! For example, I needed to find statistics for a particular disaster that I was looking for. Instead of Google giving me links to websites that answer, "number of fatalities in Japan earthquake in the past ten years", what chatGPT does is, it directly gives me the answer to that question. No links. But just an explanation of the context of the statistic and the statistic itself.

Conversing with chatGPT is like conversing with a highly unbiased intelligent person. I say unbiased because you will not be judged no matter how stupid or trivial your question is. For example, I wanted to buy a somewhat expensive watch and I asked chatGPT if I should buy it, given the limited resources that I have. chatGPT gave me factual consequences if I would purchase or not purchase that particular watch. chatGPT did not say, "do not buy that watch" or "go buy that watch, you deserve it". Instead, it gave me objective measures and reasons whether to buy it or not. Again, chatGPT is like this person who has all the answers to your questions and gives good advice, but ultimately let's you decide on which choice to make.

At one point, Mico and I were conversing and we started using chatGPT to ask questions about particular topics. chatGPT performed wonderfully. It's as if there was a third person who was conversing with us, giving all that rational and impartial advice. Mico and I thought if chatGPT can replace each of us in the relationship. Baka mamaya kaysa kausapin namin ang isa't-isa, eh kay chatGPT na kami lumapit. Haha! But then chatGPT is still just a machine. It may have all the information in the universe, but it's only as good as the the information that humans put into it. It cannot get smarter than humans. chatGPT also does not have a set of morals, principles, values, or beliefs. It is unable to discern between two right choices. It doesn't have a spirit in it. It is factual, but it cannot sense beyond what the user puts in.

So while chatGPT is great and amazingly wonderful in making processes efficient, it still cannot replace nor outsmart human-to-human interactions and human judgement.

No comments: